Notice
  • Sorry, but the content you requested is only available to members of Brecon Cathedral.

Brecon Cathedral

Note: Information may or may not be accurate, as this page has not yet been claimed. Read more here.

Page Options

About This Place

Brecon Cathedral
In this cathedral of the Church in Wales hangs the original 1896 painting by William Strutt entitled "Peace".

On the Lokashakti Network since:
Saturday, 08 October 2011

Hours: Daily 8.30am–6pm

Alternately / formerly known as:
Priory Church of St John the Evangelist

Location:
Cathedral Close
Priory Hill
Brecon, Powys LD3 9DP
Wales *

Phone: +44 (0)1874 623857

Type of network resource:
  • Public Art

Issues addressed:
  • Peace / Nonviolence

Further classification:
  • Religious

Description

Brecon Cathedral
Brecon Cathedral was originally founded as a Benedictine Priory in 1093 and become a parish church during the dissolution of the monasteries in 1537.

The Priory Church of St John the Evangelist became Brecon Cathedral in 1923 (at the creation of the Diocese of Swansea & Brecon, when the Church in Wales became a separate Province of the Anglican Communion from the Church of England).

Most of the Cathedral and the other buildings in the Close date from the 14th century. Other than the Coke monument, highlights include a Celtic font older than the Cathedral, the Colours rescued from the Battle of Rorke’s Drift in 1879, and William Strutt’s famous painting "Peace," which hangs in the Cathedral's south transept.

Brecon Cathedral – Map View

Upcoming Events

No events added yet.
fuga mobilya